The Swiss Federal Government Council held a meeting on 13th March 2020 and has decided, among a series of measures aimed at minimizing the spread of the coronavirus, to shut down all Swiss ski resorts. Here are the latest news:
– Last day of operation of mountain railways: Friday, 13th March 2020.
– The Gornergrat Bahn will cease operations from Saturday, 14th March to probably 26th April 2020. Only the return transport of guests from the Gornergrat to Zermatt will be ensured.
– Accommodations (hotels, apartments and other accommodations) must ensure that there are no more than 50 persons (guests and staff) in a room*.
– Restaurants must ensure that there are no more than 50 persons (guests and staff) in a room.
– All bars are closed from now.
– Events with more than 50 persons are not allowed.
– The traffic routes to and from Zermatt and within Zermatt will remain open.
– No special measures apply to residents and second homeowners.
– No supply shortfall.
– Medical care is ensured.
– The Zermatt Unplugged is cancelled. More information
– The Patrouille des Glaciers is cancelled. More information
* So while the skiing is not possible any more, Zermatt is still open and Mountain Exposure continue to operate as normal.
Alternatives to skiing
The following alternative programme is available to guests, despite the closure of all cable cars and mountain railways:
– Winter hiking on the open paths
– Snowshoe tours on the open trails
– Heliskiing off-piste
– Cross-country skiing
– Ski tours off-piste
– Guided tours from ZERMATTERS
– Offers in the village
The closure of the cable cars also means the closure of the ski runs. The following guidelines are in accordance with SKUS (Swiss Commission for Accident Prevention on Snow Sports Slopes):
– The ski runs are also closed outside the operating hours of the transport facilities.
– It is forbidden to use slopes and ski runs that are closed.
It’s a good start to the season, typically early as it usually is in Zermatt. The link to Cervinia in Italy is open, and we have more open ski pistes than anywhere else in the world right now. More snow is forecast for the middle of the week, so next weekend should have some magnificent powder skiing.
Inaugurated this at the start of the season, the new 3S lift with its 25 cabins has quintupled the capacity from Trockener Steg up to the Klein Matterhorn Glacier Paradise, going from 2,900m up to 3,821m, the highest cable car in the Alps. This new lift has eliminated the last remaining spot where we had to queue in Zermatt. The capacity has gone up from 600 persons per hour to 2,600: you’ll be sipping cappuccino in Cervinia before you know it. The cool cabins are designed by Pininfarina (Ferrari’s design studio), and four have Swarvoski glass floors adding sparkle to the view of the glaciers below.
We have been using it frequently already and it’s absolutely great, you never have to wait more than 5 minutes, the cabins are comfortable with no standing but seating for 28 persons each.
BTW, 3S in German means Drei-Seil: Tri-Cable.
New Mountain Exposure Website
We are delighted to announce the launch of our new website. Following the philosophy of our old website – functional, informative and easy to navigate – we have redesigned our pages giving them a modern look, with a clean design.
We have built the website from scratch, aiming at making it look good and giving you the information you need quickly, easily and clearly.
Our new website is now screen responsive so you can access it from any device, a PC or laptop, a tablet or smart phone. It is the same website, with the same information, that adapts to your screen size. Small screen does not mean less information!
Features of the new website include:
- Single Chalet pages with more information about the chalet than before. Highlights, description, features, pricing, location map, availability calendar, guest reviews, all fitted in one page.
- Use of collapsible sections to keep chalet pages short and clean, giving you the option to see the details of what interests you the most.
- High resolution photos and videos for more interactive and visual experience.
- 360 degrees virtual tours of a number of our chalets. Be in our chalets from the comfort of your own sit!
- New pages, with more information about our chalets, our peak weeks availability, news and offers, the resort of Zermatt, winter and summer activities and much more.
We hope you like what we have developed for you and look forward to your feedback and ideas. As we have done the majority of the design and development ourselves, we can easily incorporate more good ideas!
The Mountain Exposure Team